Learn to Fly RC at HOTMAC
HOTMAC recommends a multi-step process for beginners. Costs are nominal and you will quickly gain proficiency to fly RC model aircraft. All instruction follows the HOTMAC Flight Training Manual program which can be found with the link below. Also you will find a list of the HOTMAC Instructors.
Upon completion of the training program the student will pass a Solo Flight Check List. Below are the steps we recommend.
1. Contact HOTMAC to schedule a hands-on demonstration flight by a HOTMAC Instructor.
2. The HOTMAC Instructor will schedule the demonstration flight and the student will make a decision if RC pilot training is something you want to pursue.
3. Join HOTMAC and the AMA at the appropriate levels. A HOTMAC Instructor will guide you through the Training process.
3. Purchase the Realflight simulator. Practice on the simulator emulates the RC experience and will teach you the proper control stick movements. Here is a link to the RealFlight simulator RealFlight and the latest version is available at the local HOBBY TOWN or from online vendors. Practice the maneuvers in the HOTMAC Flight Training Program to learn transmitter stick control.
4. After you gain Simulator proficiency, you are ready to transition to a trainer. HOTMAC recommends the following two trainers:
A. E-Flite Apprentice STS 1.5 m RTF Smart Trainer with SAFE #EFL37000
B. HobbyZone Aeroscout S2 1.1 m RTF with SAFE #HBZ38000
Both of these trainers are great first airplanes and are capable of basic aerobatics to hone your skills as you progress. Either of these airplanes are available at your local HOBBY TOWN or through online vendors.
5. Once you have a trainer, Flight Training with a HOTMAC Instructor will begin.
6. Once you solo and are proficient to fly safely, you are required to hold the appropriate AMA and HOTMAC memberships to continue flying at the club facilities. You will also need to complete the FAA UAS registration Recreational User UAS Registration and The Recreational User Safety Test (TRUST) AMA TRUST Test upon the guidance given by your Instructor.
7. Celebrate your new skills and enjoy a lifetime of flying RC!