Learn to Fly RC at HOTMAC
HOTMAC recommends a multi-step process for beginners. Costs are nominal and you will quickly gain proficiency to fly RC model aircraft. All instruction follows the HOTMAC Flight Training Manual program which can be found with the link below. Also you will find a list of the HOTMAC Instructors.
Upon completion of the training program the student will pass a Solo Flight Check List and be elgible for HOTMAC membership. Below are the steps we recommend.
1. Join HOTMAC as an Introductory Pilot. An Instructor will contact you and then be paired with a HOTMAC Instructor.
2. The HOTMAC Instructor will schedule an Introductory Flight. From here you make a decision if RC pilot training is something you want to pursue.
3. Purchase the Realflight simulator. Practice on the simulator emulates the RC experience and will teach you the proper control stick movements. Here is a link to the RealFlight simulator RealFlight and the latest version is available at the local HOBBY TOWN or from online vendors. Practice the maneuvers in the HOTMAC Flight Training Program to learn transmitter stick control. Then you are ready to transition to a trainer. HOTMAC recommends the following two trainers:
A. HobbyZone Aeroscout S2 1.1 m RTF with SAFE #HBZ38000
B. E-Flite Apprentice STS 1.5 RTF Smart Trainer with SAFE #EFL37000
Both of these trainers are great first airplanes and are capable of basic aerobatics to hone your skills as you progress. Either of these airplanes are available at your local HOBBY TOWN or through online vendors.
5. Once you have a trainer, you will be enrolled in the AMA Introductory Pilot Program and your HOTMAC Introductory Pilot membership is approved. You have 60 days of training before the need to purchase an AMA or HOTMAC membership.
6. Once you Solo, you will be required to hold the appropriate AMA and HOTMAC memberships to continue flying at the club facilities. You will also need to complete the FAA UAS registration Recreational User UAS Registration and The Recreational User Safety Test (TRUST) AMA TRUST Test
7.Celebrate your new skills and enjoy a lifetime of flying RC!